.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

 

Kasparov held up at Moscow airport

From Interfax:

Prominent chess-player and opposition Committee 2008: Free Choice member Garry Kasparov was held up at Moscow's Domodedovo Airport for about half an hour late on Sunday due to technical malfunctioning at passport control, the public relations center of the Federal Security Service told Interfax.

"A failure in the technical control system caused a delay in passing through passport control by Mr. Garry Kasparov at Domodedovo International Airport," the center said.

"Confiscating his passport or creating any other obstacles for his entry into the Russian Federation were not our intention. Passport control officers checked [Kasparov's] documents within the longest possible timeframe designated for the procedure," it said.


But Kasparov tells a different story. From MosNews:


Kasparov told the Ekho Moskvy radio station: “When I came to the window and produced my passport, a female lieutenant recognized me and asked me to wait. After that a male lieutenant came, took my passport and left. He came back and went away several times, made phone calls and asked me questions. Being asked what it was all about, he said that the matter was classified,” Kasparov said.

Kasparov said that the only phrase that he could hear as the man was talking on the phone was: “How can I stop a Russian citizen from entering Russia?

”This phrase led me to a conclusion that my name had been put on some sort of black list requiring some measures. After consulting my lawyers, I will try to find out what is wrong with my name and what provoked such a reaction from the border guards, who were confused and did not know what to do with me.“

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?